Representation Agreement

Representation Agreement


What is a Representation Agreement?

A representation agreement is a legal planning document that allows you to give someone you trust the legal authority to help you make decisions or to represent you and make decisions for you if you are incapable of making decisions independently. A representation agreement can cover your personal and/or health care decisions. It can also cover management of your routine financial affairs.

There are two types of Representation Agreements:

• A Representation Agreement with Section 9 broader powers is a legal document available to adults who want to plan for their future in case they need assistance making health care and/or personal care decisions due to For example, Geraldine was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer Disease and is concerned about her ability to make decisions and manage her affairs in the future.

• A Representation Agreement with Section 7 standard powers is a legal document for personal planning that is available to adults who need help today because their mental capability/competency may be in question.


Why Do I Need A Representation Agreement?

When you turn 19 years old, the age of majority in B.C., parental rights end and no one, not even your spouse, has legal authority to manage your affairs if you cannot do so. This may present a problem if you need help due to an illness or injury. Most people will make more than one Representation Agreement in their lifetime.


Who Can Make A Representation Agreement?

Representation Agreements are designed to be used by all adults: those who may need help today and those who want to plan for the future. To make a Representation Agreement you must be an adult, 19 years of age or older.


Who Should I Appoint To Be My Representative?

When considering who you would like to appoint as your representative a spouse or partner, family member, or friend, could be an ideal fit. Those you appoint may live in another city, province, or country.

The law has some restrictions. You cannot appoint: 1) someone who is compensated to provide health or personal care services to you (e.g. a paid caregiver); or 2) an employee of a facility where you live if the facility provides health or personal care services to you. These restrictions do not apply if the person is your spouse, parent or child.

There are many factors to consider when choosing who to involve in your Representation Agreement, such as: your trust in them, their skills and abilities, and their understanding of your wishes and values.

Make an appointment with Jennifer to discuss any questions or concerns that you might have when selecting an suitable representative.