Why Do I Need A Notary?
The most common reasons you would engage a notary is when you are:
• buying or selling a property
• updating a title (i.e. registering a death)
• registering a Mortgage
Do I Need A Notary To Buy, Sell, Or Remortgage My Home?
A Notary can eliminate the stress and confusion that may arise during a purchase, sale or mortgage transaction. Our goal is to smoothly navigate you through the process, giving you peace of mind that everything will be completed correctly, and on time.
As a Buyer, the role of your Notary is to ensure that valid title, free of any of the Seller’s mortgages or liens, passes to you upon payment of the purchase price to the Seller.
As a Seller, your Notary will ensure that you will receive the sale proceeds in exchange for the transfer of title to the Buyer.
What is Conveyancing?
Conveyancing is the process of transferring ownership of a legal title of land (property) from one person or entity to another.
What Steps Do I Take Once I Have Decided To Buy A Home?
Contact our office as soon as you have an accepted Contract of Purchase and Sale and have removed all subjects. Let your realtor/banker/mortgage broker know that you are using our office for your transaction. If you are not using a realtor, you must provide us with a copy of your Contract.
For the buyer – We will provide assistance in the following areas:
• Prepare, legal documents – e.g. contract of sale, transfer documents/mortgage
• Research the property and its title – check for charges and any other information that needs addressing
• Put the deposit money in a trust account
• Calculate the adjustment of rates and taxes
• Contact your bank or financial institution regarding mortgage information if any
• Represent your interest with a vendor or their agent
What Steps Do I Take Once I Have Sold My Home?
Contact our office as soon as you have an accepted Contract of Purchase and Sale and have removed all subjects. Let your realtor know that you are using our office for your transaction. If you are not using a realtor, you must provide us with a copy of your Contract.
For the seller – We will provide assistance in the following areas:
• Complete and ensure the legal documents are all prepared and duly executed.
• Represent you and respond to requests from the buyer – for example, request to extend dates, title questions, etc.
• Assist with paying out any financial charges which are registered on the title of the property (mortgage or liens)
• Ensure that when a mortgage is discharged (paid out) that the charge is removed from the title of the property you have sold